Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Handmade Christmas: Little Village Advent Calendar


Do you count down the days until Christmas with an advent calendar? I didn't grow using one, but this is our third year doing it with our girls. I'm a huge Christmas nerd, so I love the idea of doing something to get into the spirit everyday. I want Christmas in our home to be about so much more than just presents.

I had the idea for this advent a few months ago, but it's taken me forever to complete thanks to a certain little baby I know. It's finally done and I LOVE it! We set it up on our mantel yesterday and the girls are going crazy asking when we're going to start. Each little house has a slip of paper with a suggested activity, plus a few tiny treats.


If you're waiting until the last minute to put together your advent calendar like me, you're welcome to use my designs to create your own little village. You can find the templates for all three house sizes as well as the numbers at the end of this post.


To make the houses: download templates and print 8 of each size of house on to thick paper. Using a ruler and the tip of a bone folder (or an exacto knife), lightly score all lines (except the chimney!). Use your tool to make an actual slit/cut on the bold lines (there are 5). Fold paper inward on the lines, and place your little treats in the center of the box.  Bring sides of the house up, fitting tabs into slits on all sides of the house, finishing with the roof. Print the numbers on to full sheet label paper and cut out (I used a 1" circle punch to make things easier). Peel and stick to the front of each house, and enjoy spoiling your kids for 24 whole days!

Templates: Advent numbers, Large House, Medium House, Small House

13 comments:

  1. Randi, this looks so great! Those little houses are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely advent calendar! :) Such a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thank you for sharing it. I'vebeen following you on Instagram for a while and it's about time I stopped by to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love it and the tree that posted yesterday! So great! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely idea - the calendar looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I'm mentioning it on my blog today.
    http://blog.lulalouise.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this download still available? I can't open it to print or anything. I would love to have a copy if it is available. Thanks. Amber phina47@toast.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for this awesome freebie and making it black and white so it can be printed on any color. I want to do a pink and green advent. Your creativity is much appreciated to those of us on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May I share this cute DIY on a Norwegian site called Kreativeideer.com (Creative ideas)? Borrow some of the photos and link to your site + the templates. I will mention your name and blog name of course :)

    ReplyDelete